History of the Firm
In 1963, R. Thomas Jaeger joined an existing architecture firm that designed a broad range of residential and commercial buildings. He soon changed the firm’s direction with his award-winning design of the St. Barnabas Episcopal Church in Glen Ellyn, Illinois, which led to additional church projects and a gradual specialization in religious architecture. Robert M. Nickola joined the firm in 1976, and Jaeger, Nickola & Associates (JNA) was established in 1984. In 1992, JNA made a commitment to exclusively serve churches and faith-based communities, and this has remained the firm’s focus ever since. In 2005, David C. Kuhlman joined JNA as a principal, bringing a broad range of experience in senior housing, religious, educational, and health care projects. In 2012, David Kuhlman succeeded Robert Nickola as President, and in 2013 the name of the firm changed to Jaeger Nickola Kuhlman & Associates (JNKA) as the firm celebrated its 50th Anniversary.
Who Is JNKA
• Serving faith-based clients, including churches, synagogues, schools, universities, senior housing providers and related organizations who are committed to helping people to live, learn, and grow in their faith.
• Thoughtful design, as required to develop creative solutions that reflect the beliefs and unique identity of each client and community we serve.
• Professionalism, exemplified by our integrity and dedication to good communication, strong team-oriented working relationships, excellence in the services we provide, and business practices that are successful and ethical yet open to taking reasonable risks.
• Good stewardship, manifested by our commitment to sustainable design and responsible management of the environment and of our clients’ physical and financial resources.
• Relationships, with our clients and professional colleagues, but most especially with our families as we strive to achieve a healthy balance between professional work and family life.
• Respect, for religious freedom and the unique values and beliefs of our clients and employees.
Our mission is to serve faith-based communities in providing full architectural services that define and realize their unique visions, needs, and goals, through a thoughtful and collaborative process that enriches their lives while practicing good stewardship of their resources.
Our Vision is to be a national leader in serving faith-based communities as architects, creating thoughtful and sustainable designs that respect and enrich the environment of each client we serve.
We are committed to developing strong working relationships and providing steadfast guidance to our clients through each step of the design process, from the initial assessment, programming and master planning phase, through the subsequent design and implementation phases, until the completion of construction, with utmost professionalism and dedication, striving for excellence in all that we do.
Overview of the Firm
Our work has received numerous awards for excellence in architecture and planning from a wide variety of professional organizations (see “Honors & Awards”), but one of our greatest strengths is our Assessment, Visioning, and Master Planning Process, which helps our clients to understand the condition of their existing facilities, define their programming needs and goals and develop architectural designs and construction cost estimates to achieve those goals. /p>
We pride ourselves on our technical proficiency and on successfully executing the construction phase of each project with a team-oriented approach. Our ability to work collaboratively with church leaders, building committees, consultants, and contractors is essential to helping our clients stay on budget while seeing their visions become reality.
Our personal faith experiences and the architectural challenges and rewards of working with faith-based organizations are the foundations of our commitment to specialize in religious architecture. Our collective passion drives us as we address the concerns, needs, and goals of these unique projects, which provide a meaningful outlet for our creative talents that serve our clients in their most important work.